- Organizational Chart
- Churches & Schools
“We envision Barangay Tawang that is self-reliant, peaceful, having healthy and progressive constituents living in an environment-friendly community, participating in the promotion of competitive eco-tourism destination, improved transportation facilities with the introduction of alternative source of living and sustained development for a united, harmonious relation and peace-loving residents in effective, efficient and orderly governance”.
“To boost the delivery/introduction of programs, projects, activities and services on livelihood, tourism, environment and transportation. It is also a mandate to include health, public safety, social welfare and education for the benefit of our constituents and to ensure active participation/dedication of the community in the implementation of other general public services and to strengthen coordination/linking/networking with the different government agencies and non-government agencies/organization for the ultimate development of Barangay Tawang.”
“To improve the quality of life of its residents economically, socially, morally, physically, and religiously through the maintenance of peace and order, implementation of solid waste management programs, promotion of eco-tourism destination, livelihood programs within the community, and implementation of social services in coordination/linking/networking with different agencies for the ultimate development of the barangay.”
There are two (2) versions as to the origin of the name “Tawang”. According to its early inhabitants, it came from the Kankanaey word, meaning “catching birds through the use of fire inside the cave”. Others say that it came from the historic cutailment of the performance of the Cañao. Due to this, they held their ritual inside the caves of Tawang where they performed the “tayaw”, the local dance of the Ibaloi. Thus, the place was called “Tayawan” and later changed to “Tawang”.
Originally, barangay Tawang was comprised of several sitios distributed over Pico, Alapang and Shilan. The inhabitants of Tawang were originally from the Kankanaey ethnic tribe. They occupied the area in 1898, during the end of Spanish era. As the years passed by, people from different places flocked into the barangay and today a mixture of different tribes exist. The old folks continue to practice the traditional customs and beliefs, performing sacrificial rituals.
Since some areas were declared as school reservations, the people of Tawang, along with the residents of Poblacion, Wangal, Cruz and other barangays clamored to own the land they occupied. By virtue of proclamation 209 in 1955, President Ramon Magsaysay proclaimed part of La Trinidad including Tawang as alienable and disposable land. This gave the occupants the right to register their lands as titled property provided they secure certificate from the Benguet State University, formerly known as Mountain State Agricultural College that the piece of land they are claiming does not fall within the reservation area.
Around 1960’s, the church of advent was erected and it served as a school offering only Grade I and Grade II. During the decade, the Tawang Elementary School and the road traversing sitio Boted to Central Tawang were constructed, opening new opportunities for the barangay and the residents.
Tawang was only separated from the mother barangay in 1971, by virtue of a resolution by the concern citizens of Tawang through the endorsement and approval of the Provincial Government of Benguet. Tawang then became the 16th regular barangay of La Trinidad.
The following are the Barangay Captains/Punong Barangay of Tawang since 1969 up to present.
|1. Salino Dosdos- 1969-1972||7. Denver D. Gomeyac- 2002-2007|
|2. Wilson Juan- 1972-1982||8. Lorenzo A. Belino- 2007-2010|
|3. James Smith- 1982-1987||9. Denver D. Gomeyac- 2010-2013|
|4. Bartolome Locloc- 1987-1992||10. Denver D. Gomeyac- 2013- September 6, 2018|
|5. James Marcos- 1992-1998||11. Brenda Waytan- September 10, 2018 to present|
|6. Olindo T. Cuyangan- 1998-2002|