- Organizational Chart
- Churches and Schools
We shall be committed, transparent, responsive model with people active participation, support and cooperation in coordination and partnership with Government organization, Non-government Organization or Private Organizations for the progress and development of our barangay.
We envision Barangay Bahong as a progressive, agri-tourism and peaceful community, wherein citizens are value oriented, self-reliant, healthy and environment-friendly under participative governance.
- To promote good sanitation and proper waste management.
- To provide quality basic education.
- To sustain agricultural productivity.
- To improve nutrition among pre-schools and school children.
- To reduce crime-related activities.
- To support and encourage active participation of all organizations in the barangay.
- To support livelihood projects.
Bahong was once part of Tacdian which was composed of Shilan, Alno, Alapang, Tawang, Camp Dangwa formerly known as Camp Holmes, and Acop. It is said that there were two waves of migration into the Tacdian Valley during the 14th and 18th century.
The first waves of migration were the “iuwaks” who had wet rice culture. They came in the late 14th century possibly through the Aringay-Naguilian or via Dalupirip following the river upstream to Ambuklao then to Balangbang. Written records show that Bahong is considered one of the earliest settlement areas in La Trinidad where they built rice terraces and traded with lowlanders.
During the cataclysmic incident in 1641, only a handful of inhabitants survived an earthquake and a great flood that occurred. Whole settlements were devastated. Rolling hills in what is now the valley proper of Takdian was flattened. In its stead a lake was formed. For some time the absence of the Igorots was felt in the lowland traders in Naguilian. Marine fossils have surfaced and found in Bahong, Shilan, and Alapang.
The second wave of migration occurred in the early 1700’s. Following the tracks of flecked footed deer, hunters sighted the once lush rice lands of the iuwaks with the few remaining survivors. These hunters were from the nearby settlements in Datacan, Pasdong, and Palew who traced their migration origins from Ahin, Tinek, and Kabayan. They had been constant on the move, in search of food for living on hunting and short term root crops such as camote and gabi. Later, they wandered in search of sites and terrains suitable for rice cultivation as those they once worked on in Nagey and Abiang, both in Atok. It was then in Takdian that these people settled.
It was Poskey who settled in the fertile valleys of Takdian. His descendants were Pihasso, Sofong, Baniwas, Quidno, Onhey, Mayeg Alvares and Morales.
In the organization of Benguet in 1846 as a Commandancia Politico-Militar, Bahong consisted of one Rancheria separate from La Trinidad. La Trinidad was composed of Lucban, Mines View or Benanga, Beckel, Balili, Pico, Puguis, Wangal, Lamtang and Becing. Bahong included Tawang, Acop, Shilan, Pangablan, Alno, Alapang and Camp Dangwa.
As then the Rancheria La Trinidad acquired an increasingly cosmopolitan character, the Rancheria of Bahong maintained its rustic character. It was when the Spanish government established forced labor or “polo” when inhabitants from La Trinidad fled from the Spanish cruelty to nearby areas of Bahong which was a little distant from the Spanish center of La Trinidad.
It was Pihasso (Picasso) who was Cabesa de Barangay and he was said to have been buried in his official suit. Pihasso had wide tracts of land where his cattle grazed. He traded cattle with lowlanders, among his buyers where the revolutionaries of Tarlac. It was due to this that he was held trustee prisoner in one of a Spanish official’s residence in Manila. It was however by a good deed of honesty that he was released and returned home. Pittawa and Sofong also from the area were also appointed as “Cabesa de Barangay”.
The Filipino revolutionaries who came to La Trinidad were Ilocanos and Tagalogs who established camp at Pico. They were successful in driving away the Spaniards towards the north generally towards Cervantes and Bontoc.
At this time, there were still “cargadores” paid by the Spaniards. Among them were women, Dorob of Wangal, Kanek and an unnamed woman both from Tomay. These women “cargadores” were said to have reached Cervantes, carrying with them wooden boxes which they suspected were filled with coins and treasures. Dorob and Kanek escaped and soon returned to La Trinidad.
It was Sofong, brother of Pihasso who was one of the first to meet the American Negro soldiers. They arrived in the night somewhere past Camp Dangwa where they heard firing guns. Sofong carried a pine pith torch “saleng” and approached the soldiers. They communicated through sign language and came to an understanding. Sofong provided them with pine pith torch (saleng) for their light.
The American Negros were assigned to guard the settlements for possible Spanish or revolutionary attacks.
It was Baniwas, son of Diwa and Abem, married to Barney who hails from Bahong served as President of La Trinidad for two terms from 1906 to 1908. Baniwas emerged as the richest in the area of Tacdian inheriting vast lands from both his parents’ side that came from landed families.
In 1945, General Mc Arthur announced the liberation of the Philippines during his time until the term of Larry Ogas as the mayor of La Trinidad in the year 1952-1963. His two (2) subordinate from sitio Shilan, Rufino Tumbaga and Mathew Lomires of Bahong were having a hard time in meeting the needs of people because of the wide coverage of the barrio. Then they requested for the division of barrio Tacdian into two (2) different barrios that is now called Barangay Shilan and Barangay Bahong. The former name Tacdian was already eradicated. The only proof that Barrio Tacdian still exist was the presence of the Catholic private school which is called Tacdian Elementary School. This is located at Tomay, La Trinidad, Benguet which is now a part of Barangay Bahong.
Note: Bahong originated from the Ibaloi word “pesjohong or naydihong” which means hollow or bowl like.